Sunday, September 22, 2013

9.21.2013

Although it's very unoriginal, now that we are here and busy every day with a multitude of things - and just wait until spring! - I'm going to just date the posts instead of a fun name.  Although there will probably be some fun names sometimes!

This morning Jim and I headed out to the mall to get parts to install the washer and dryer.  We decided to swing in and look at the climate controlled storage unit first.  Wow - quite the complex.  They have 1000 units in two different buildings and it's just rows and rows of units of different sizes.  It's nice because they all have open tops with just a screen over them so that air can circulate.  It's extremely secure - you have a computer chip key fob that lets you in only to your floor.  You can't even take the elevator to another floor.  They have easy access to back the truck in, they have carts to help you take things back/forth to your unit, and everything is recorded by cameras.  We decided to get a 10'x5' unit, so it is 10' wide in front and only 5' deep, which allows easier access to things.  We are going to put Jim's heavy maple outfeed table in there so we can stack two levels.  I'm really excited that we found a place.  It's only $25/month more than the cruddy outside unit they are in now.  We hate to pay for yet one more storage unit, but this should be really nice.  Hopefully it will be big enough that we can even put some things from the apartment in there too and free up some space in here.

We got the things we needed at Lowe's and Jim is hooking up the washer and dryer now.  Of course, since nothing is really ever easy, one of the elbows we got was defective and I ran up to the little hardware store in town to get another one - at double the price.  Then the guys who delivered it said we needed hoses so we bought them at Lowe's and opened them up.  Only to find out that there were hoses in the washing machine.  Now Jim is having issues because the vent in the apartment wall has been all messed up and isn't hooking up well.  I know he's chomping at the bit to get out to the land, so I feel bad that this is taking him much longer than it should.

Well, Jim finally got everything situation and we gave it a test run - only to find out that they have the water reversed - the red faucet (which should be hot) is cold; the blue (which should be cold) is hot!  Gotta love this apartment!  I told Jim it was fine - he could reverse it later.  So he took off to the land.

Had to laugh as my first load of wash finished...the clothes were warm when I took them out which was odd...then I realized that all the rinse cycles were cold.  So I washed my clothes in cold water and rinsed them in hot!  I think I'll wait til Jim fixes it before I do any more wash!  Update:  Jim got home, reversed the water hoses and I was able to do a couple of more loads!

Jim didn't have much time at the land yesterday but said he got another 50 feet of trench dug so that's good.  Hopefully he can have some good quality time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment