Sunday, November 17, 2013

11.16.2013

Another beautiful day - we know this will be ending so we are trying to get as much done as possible. I stayed home in the morning because I'm still in the thick of fire school work.  All of a sudden, the computer battery back up started beeping like it normally does when the power goes out - but lights and computer were still working.  I called Jim and he said maybe the battery in the back up unit were going out.  So I continued working...then the internet died.  I gave up and went out to make lunch.  When I went to the other side of the apartment, Jim's battery back ups were going off.  I called Jim again and he said he was going to come home to see what was going on.  I had hardly hung up with him and all the power in the apartment went out.  I needed to get to the post office, so I took off to do that.  Only then did I discover that all the power in the town was out!  No traffic lights, nothing at the post office or bank - the postmaster said it was wide spread and the whole village was out.  When I got home, Jim was there - he told me that the apartment building generator had kicked on enough to power everything for awhile (not real long though!) which was why I still had lights and power but why the battery back up was on.  Lesson learned - I totally forgot about the generator!  Later we looked on the phone and National Grid just showed that the entire village was affected and they were hoping to get power on by 4:00.

So we grabbed lunch and went back to the land.  Jim had gotten all the trees cut up and moved over to the storage area in the morning - that's a lot of wood!


Then after lunch, it was time to dig out the 3 stumps from the trees he had cut down.  Look at the size of that stump!


And check out this one - it was huge!  This was from that live tree that split when he cut it down.


Then Jim got the stump areas filled back in and graded off again - looking beautiful! 


Our stump pile is really growing!  We have to figure out what to do with all these eventually.


While Jim was busy with all of that, I spent the time gathering up more branches and logs left over from the tree cutting they did before we bought the land.

 
Here's the pile of gathered branches I've dragged up ready to be chipped.  We did our first chipping on the property last Thanksgiving - might become a family tradition!
 

There wasn't much time left because we wanted to go to church, but Jim started moving topsoil from the area where the carriage house will go.  Then it will be time to start digging the area for the carriage house foundation!  That is SO exciting!


Thankfully, the power was restored by the time we got back to the apartment so we could get cleaned up and head into church.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment