Thursday, April 11, 2013

Many phone calls...

Wonder how much time we really waste being on hold or caught in company voice mail?  Probably don't want to know, but I definitely added to my totals today.

We lost power here at home in the morning - for just a couple hours.  But that was enough to mess up our internet.  We had digital phone and cable TV but no internet.  So that took 2 phone calls and probably an hour to get straightened out.  I'm not good with all the computer terminology either, so at some point I always end up handing the phone to Jim to talk to the guy in India.

But then I did make some progress later on.  We needed to get an EZ-Pass turnpike tag for the truck.  Should be easy, but since it's a different class of vehicle than a passenger car, not so much.  I got transferred back and forth because everyone kept telling me I needed to fill out a business or commercial application - and I kept telling them that we aren't a business.  We just owned this truck for personal reasons.  Finally, I got someone in the commercial department to give me the exact terminology to use with the other people to get the truck added to our account.  So finally - after she again told me no and finally went and checked with someone else - I got it added and a new blue tag will hopefully be in the mail.  Just makes the trip so much easier to be able to sail through the turnpike lanes - plus there's that 5% discount.

Then I talked to National Grid, the electric company.  Again, not real straight forward because we already have a pending account with them for the land.  But she gave me a new account number for the apartment and will have it switched into our name as of May 1st.

I started talks with TimeWarner too.  Thankfully, they have TimeWarner in NY so we can keep all of our same email accounts - that will make that move easier.  But the issue is going to be that we need service here plus we need service in NY - and don't want to pay $300 to make that happen!  So I got some basic info to start thinking about and I think if we have bare minimum at both places for awhile, it should be feasible until we are both in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment