Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Travel day for Jim...

So Jim and Bryan got in late last night back to Ohio.  He stayed at their house - thanks, guys, for hosting him! 

Then the fun began...he had to run a few errands and then headed out to the storage unit - only to realize that he left the key back here in NY!  We have so many storage units now, each with their own lock and key of course, but this unit is different in that it has a built-in lock and a special key.  Jim grabbed his storage unit keys but not this one.  So he called me and I started calling around trying to get ahold of someone to let him in.  Unfortunately, this unit doesn't have someone in the office very often because they have a couple different locations.  I finally got someone who said he would meet Jim there and unlock the unit for him.  Whew...crisis averted!

Meanwhile, I had to do some business work - spent over an hour on the phone with the postage meter rep.  He basically told me that I have been paying rent on this unit for too long and probably could have bought it for what we've paid.  Of course they all tell you something different.  And he wants to sell me all kinds of cool stuff that I probably don't need - automatic feeders, envelope printers, folder/stuffing machine - I would need a giant office for all that stuff!  Meanwhile, with a bed and a chair in this room I can't even get to what I have!  So that may be down the road info.  Then I ventured out yet again and went into Hadley to talk to a printer about doing fire school envelopes and printing for me.  Boy, this is definitely a ma and pa type place - hard to even describe!  But their prices seemed better than what we were paying back in OH so I ordered some to start out with and see how they are.

Jim called later and had gotten what he wanted on the truck; thanks again for helping Bryan!  Then he headed over to the neighbor's because he wanted to see if he could get the Z in his barn instead of just sitting outside until we could get it up here.  But Don came out and said that Jim could put it in his old chicken coop - it has a concrete floor and fit in there nice and snug - that's a big relief to not have to worry about it right now!

He also stopped by Isuzu - the truck still has weird trouble lights and he wanted them to diagnose it.  He didn't give me all the scoop but he got some info from them.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have any place to work on vehicles right now but the truck is still running fine thankfully.

With all the errands and storage unit issues, Jim got a really late start back to NY.  I hate for him to be driving all night but he is anxious to get home.  I just talked to him a bit ago and he was past Buffalo.  He promised to stop and stay somewhere if he got tired.

I made an apple cake tonight using the apples from our tree back home.  I picked some before we left.  They are such good apples but they just don't keep well.  The cake smells yummy - I figured Jim would need a treat when he got home from his long drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment