Sunday, September 29, 2013

9.28.2013

Jim again headed out to the land in the morning to resume trenching and I had some fire school work to do.  After I went to the post office, I wandered over by the Corinth "beach" - how pretty is this though? 


This little beach area is called Jessup's Landing...and I learned some history!
Some Corinth history
Then I wandered around front because I had seen the library...it is so tiny and cute that I decided I had to have a library card.  There's obviously not a huge selection but they do have access to the entire library system online plus you can order books to download.  Just in case I ever run out of things to read...well, probably not in big danger of that.  But you can never have access to too many books!  Plus it feels like another step in being part of this community.

Corinth Free Library
Then I packed lunches and went to the land.  Just before I got there, Jim texted me this picture - this is the biggest rock we have found so far!  Jim said it weighed at least a ton.


He finally managed to get it in the Bobcat bucket but then it was too heavy to lift the bucket, so he had to just set it aside.

That's a crazy big rock!
Today's trenching went a little differently.  As you can see from the picture below, the ground isn't level in this area, which means that the excavator is sitting at a precarious angle and the trench wouldn't be level at the bottom.  So Jim's solution was to dig a scoop, rotate on the excavator, and place the dirt behind him - building up a flat area that he could work from.  So that obviously took a little longer than straight digging.  My job was to pick out the big rocks in the scoops he took, throw them in the bucket of the Bobcat awaiting Jim to dump it when it was full.  (Lift with your knees, Sharon!)

Trenching and building up
I'm not a great estimator, but we probably have less than 150 feet to go.  Of course, then there's a lot of work to do to get it ready (sand and compacting), placing conduit down at the road by the pole, and getting the pad area dug and ready for the transformer.  But great progress!


Looking down toward the driveway

So much progress that Jim is planning on going back to Ohio in the morning.  Monday is the last day we can have the storage unit there so if he clears it out now, we won't have to pay another month's rent.  Plus then he can have the majority of his things at least in the state!

Today's Leaf Peeper Pics...
 




No comments:

Post a Comment