Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Well drilling day!

Very exciting - they started drilling the well today!  The trucks came a little after 9:00 this morning.


Jim said the process they use is very different from the way our well was drilled here in Ohio.  In Ohio, they punch it...it sounds like a giant hammer pounding over and over.  In NY, they actually drill it.  I wish I could have been there to see the whole process...Jim will have to give me some more details when he gets home.


This is the first section of casing getting ready to be put into place.

 
Apparently, they have to put casing in until they hit bedrock.  By the time they knocked off today about 4:30, they had gone about 150 feet and thought they were close to bedrock.  That's much farther down than they expected to hit bedrock...bad news for us since we have to pay by the foot for drilling as well as for the casement. 
 
I felt really bad...I went to see my mom today and it was actually hot there - 90 degrees by my car thermometer.  But poor Jim said the weather was not so nice in NY...windy, cold enough to see your breath, and even lightning at one point.  That had to be bad for Jim just standing around watching them.
 
They'll start up again tomorrow - they told Jim that once they hit bedrock, they can drill through it about 100 feet an hour - crazy!  I just hope they find good water!
 
Then they have to have the pump discussion - Jim would prefer to install it himself so we'll see how all that goes.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment